The Story Begins: "Created in God's Image"
January 12, 2020 | Jim Hodge
I. Humanity created in God's divine image. (Genesis 1:26-31)
- Respect for human life in God’s divine image.
Psalm 8:1-5; Psalm 139:13-16
Genesis 9:6: James 3:9
- The divine image implies partnership with God in His creation.
Genesis 1:26; Psalm 8:3–8
II. The image of God disfigured in the fall. (Genesis 2:1-8)
- Fallen humanity in God’s creation.
III. Jesus Christ - the image of the invisible God.
Philippians 2:6; Colossians 1:15; 2 Corinthians 4:4
- He is the exact representation of God.
- He is the perfect human being.
John 1:14; Philippians 2:7; Hebrews 2:17
IV. Humanities restoration of the divine image through Jesus Christ.
- The divine image is restored in Christ by faith.
Romans 8:29; Ephesians 4:22–24; Colossians 3:9–10
- The Christian life a process of transformation.
2 Corinthians 3:18
- The Christian life has a promise of complete restoration in the future.
1 Corinthians 15:49;1 John 3:2;1 Corinthians 15:45-48
- Read Genesis 1:26-2:25. What stands out to you as you read about our beginning? What are you thankful for from this passage?
- What comes to mind when you think of humanity being created and designed “in the image of God?”
- How does being made in His image impact your daily life?
- What are some areas of authority you have been given that you want to oversee better this year?
- What are your thoughts concerning all the animals, the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky; as living creatures that God has entrusted to our care?
- In what ways does our culture demean and diminish the value of work? In what ways do you value work? How do you get to witness about Christ at work?
- What makes rest and sabbath difficult for you? Pray for one another to work and rest in a way that glorifies God.