Messes and Masterpieces- “Living with a God-given Confidence”
June 09, 2019 | Jim Hodge
I. Confident in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8:1-4)
Condemnation – Judgement, punishment and rejection.
II. Confident in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 8:5-15)
Fleshly living – Living as though Christ is not satisfying while living for lesser satisfactions.
III. Confident with suffering. (Romans 8:16-17)
Heirs – One who inherits riches, privileges and responsibilities.
“For is has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake.” Philippians 1:29
IV. Confident with all the groaning! (Romans 8:18-26)
Groaning – Expressing deep longing due to hurt, disappointment, or prolonged difficulty.
Hope – Confidently expecting we will eventually receive all that God has promised in Jesus.
HCC Community Outreach – “Pray and Go!”
Discussion Questions for the Week
- How do you sum up having a God-given confidence from Romans 8?
- When and where do you struggle with confidence and why?
- How should Christians think about our continued sinning in light of this Romans 8 passage?
- How does Romans 8:28 give us hope as we deal with the groanings (physical and emotional) of this life?
- How should the Christian’s view of death be different from the unbeliever’s view of death? (John 11:25-26, Romans 14:7-9, 1 Corinthians 2:9, 15:42-44, 2 Corinthians 5:6-9, Philippians 1:21, 2 Timothy 4:7-8, Revelation 14:13 and 21:4). Pray for one another to live with God-given confidence as we proclaim the Gospel.