Jesus Changes Everything- Jesus Changes Our Calling
“I find it fascinating that most people plan their vacation with better care than they plan their lives. Perhaps that is because escape is easier than change.” Vince Lombardi
I. Go in His Authority. (vs 16-18)
“…(Christ) is the head of all rule and authority.” Colossians 2:9-10
“For ‘God has put all things in subjection under his feet….’” I Corinthians 15:27
“…at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.” Philippians 2:9-10
II. Make disciples. (vs 19)
- Disciple to the Cross and discipling after the Cross!!
A disciple is a follower of Jesus, someone who learns from Him in order to live like Him, so others will also follow Him.
Disciple-making is an intentional investment in people’s lives to see them love God, love other and make disciples.
1. Lives in worship.
“Jesus said, ‘God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.’” John 4:24
2. Lives in fellowship with believers.
“Encourage one another, and build up one another, just as you are doing.” I Thessalonians 5:11
3. Lives in Christ-likeness.
“….walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him…” Colossians 1:10
4. Lives in ministry as a way of life.
“Jesus said, ‘whoever would be first among you must be a slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve…” Mark 10:44-45
5. Lives on mission.
“Jesus said, ‘….you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.’” Acts 1:8
III. Teach others to obey Him. (vs 20)
Go to Titus 2:1-8 and read
Qualities of an effective disciple maker:
1. Love God. (This should be seen in your life)
“Jesus said, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.’” Matthew 22:37-38
2. Love your disciples and spend time with them.
“……we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.” I Thessalonians 2:8
“Disciple making is friendship with vision.” (Kingdom vision) John Kelsey
3. Pray for them and with them.
“For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours.” John 17:8-9
- (1) Keep them in your name…that they may be one, even as we are one (unity)
- (2) keep them from the evil one (victory over sin)
- (3) sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth (separate from the world);
- (4) whom you have given me, may be with me (eternity in His presence)
“You can’t rightly talk to men about God, until you first talk to God about men!” E.M. Bounds
4. Send them.
“In the Transformational Discipleship study, we asked 3,000 protestant churchgoers how many times they had personally shared with another person how to become a Christian. Sixty-one percent said that they had never shared their faith. Zero times. Forty-eight percent said they hadn’t invited anyone to church during that period of time.” Ed Stetzer
“Jesus said….’As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.’” John 20:21
- Jesus changes our calling in life!
- It is….Go, make disciples, let’s get them baptized and, then, let’s begin teaching them sound doctrine and, then, send them into the world to make disciples…